May 28, 2008

A new experiment

As I'm on week I-forget-exactly-which of my enforced confinement -- seven come this Friday, I think -- it seems like a good time to try to do something constructive with all of the time on my hands. This is highly experimental yet, of course; once I'm back up and running, I'm not sure what a full-time graduate student with classes, a dissertation, an assistantship, and an externship will be able to produce of any interest or length. (Other than extremely long sentences, like that one. I'm always able to produce those.)

Whatever else I might end up doing with this, I will hopefully never again be guilty of neglecting to inform friends or family members of key events in my very-frenetic-but-strangely-difficult- to-describe life. Like -- oh, being on bed-rest for seven weeks due to a back injury, as a random example. (*cough, Joseph cough, cough*)

Beyond that, a friend once recommended keeping a list of all the things in life one particularly enjoys as a defense against gloominess. I started one, once; I think it contained everything from Easter Vigil Mass to glass-fronted cupboards and the smell of warm pine needles. I want this blog to be something like that list, somehow: an outlet for remembering and remarking on all the other things in life besides graduate school -- a place to "leave comfort root-room."

2 comments:

"Father Barry" said...

"Excellent, Smithers."

Adds to blogroll.

Where's the slideshow from?

Jen said...

Thanks, "Father Barry." Proud to be added to your list!

Eh, the slideshow is a sort of filler until I can get my own photos up. It's the default show from Picasa, which was one of the photo upload options. It's so nice, though, I might have to keep it for a while...