I am one of those people who usually champion the idea of "being" over "doing." You know -- slow down and figure out why you're doing all these things to begin with! What if we're all just meant to "exist beautifully", as a friend said recently? What would that look like? And I usually have some notion of it including things like reading more great books, spending leisurely hours out-of-doors, noticing little beautiful things, and so on.
But my seven weeks of inactivity have led me to the sorrowful conclusion that I don't know what this looks like and am not naturally inclined towards it even if I did. I could be writing letters, spending time in contemplative prayer, picking up those books I have thoughtfully earmarked for "later", whenever that is. Instead, I'm shocked to discover that May is almost over and I've spent most of it online. Doing nothing. (I don't consider spending hours on YouTube "something.")
Well, not nothing, exactly. I have watched a lot of classic films that have been on my list to see for quite a while. But nothing beyond that. So even while I'm hoping that my confinement is going to end soon, I'm now somewhat wishing it could go on a bit longer to give me time to do it "right." The discussion about great Catholic literature at Inside Catholic is partly responsible for this; I've read about half those books, but could definitely stand to reread all of them. And the others I've never even heard of! More to add to that list of "laters!" Or better yet, start making later "now."
So, to all my fledgling readers: what would you read if you had the leisure? What else would you do, if lying on your back were all you could do? Be creative! I sure haven't been...
May 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
The problem with slowing down to smell the daisies is that your life runs you down from behind while you're bending over.
Maybe that's what happened to your back.
Seriously, though, I suspect my "liesure" time would look a lot like yours. Only I'd watch a lot more classic movies, and a little less YouTube. And I'd feel as dissatisfied with myself when I was done as you seem to feel right now.
Now, if I were disciplined and in your shoes/back, I'd probably read. I have a ton of literature I want to get through some day, and there is no good reason for my not having read all Flannery O'Connor's letters and essays by now. I'd start with that.
...and I'd listen to a ton of music. Closely, and carefully. And not while I was reading.
But mostly, I'd write. I hope.
Fr. Barry -- thanks for the affirmation! Glad to know I'm not the only one who'd be likely to regret wasted time.
I am discovering some new music, thanks to your Pandora.com recommendation! That is something good. Before I read more Flannery, though, I want to read those letters of hers -- she still makes very little sense to me...
But writing! That's the thing: I want to do more of that, too. What would you write?
ok, I can tell you something about having time to smell the daisies. Try getting on some kind of schedule; in the morning spend time in prayer, read a good book or watch a movie. In the afternoon spend some time on the web,updating your blog, writing your letters, etc. And at night do a bible study or some crocheting. I know it's hard not having a real purpose to your day when no one's counting on you to do anything but lay there, especially when you're normally a person on the go.
oh, and check out the Catholic Fiction: Top 5 list at Inside Catholic.
Yay, Karen! I was hoping you'd pitch in, with your vast experience of bed-riddenness! Very good suggestions; thanks.
Ooh. Yeah, Karen would be a good one to take advice from here. And I think her point about getting on a schedule -- *any* kind of schedule -- is a good one. Even if you're not "producing" anything, knowing that this is the time when you read, and this is the time when you pray, etc., has got to help. Even just making yourself get up at a certain hour, and go to bed at a certain hour (ahem), would probably go far.
But that's not really what you were asking. Things I'd do if flat on my back:
-- Well, first, I'd fritter a heck of a lot of time. Seriously -- if I were in your shoes, I probably would have watched a heck of a lot more bad TV than you did. I mean, someone's got to figure out if Drew Carey is doing a good job as Bob Barker's replacement on The Price Is Right, and that research just doesn't get done by itself.
So yeah. First, don't be too hard on yourself.
-- After a month of being a total layabout, I would start reading. No, wait -- I'd make a list of things to read, then start reading.
-- Making lists is a good one, too. What CDs did I mean to check out? Who were those people I was supposed to e-mail? Which recipes pique my interest? What things from Ikea do I just have to buy to spruce this place up when I'm better?
-- Write letters. All those friends you meant to catch up with, even those who you think would just appreciate a little handwritten note...stick 'em all in the mail.
-- Draw. ...well, I wouldn't draw, because I suck at it, but you're good.
-- Crochet/knit. Make baby gifts for all your friends having babieses.
-- Study a language. Study anything you've wanted to learn. I'm thinking of dude in Count of Monte Cristo (or dude in Groundhog Day, if your tastes run that way) -- if you had nothing *but* time, what are those skills/languages/histories/etc. that you've always wanted to pick up or study? You have time like never before to pick them up!
-- Ask around for some prayer intentions. I'm sure there are a lot of people who could benefit from whatever it is you're offering up.
-- Journal, but not in that lame journal-y way. I have a notebook that I carry around with me, just in case I encounter some news or an idea or even a word that I want to look up later. Having something in which to jot down notes, and then taking the time later to review your jots, would be cool.
You can also do some book-related writing. Write book reports on the things you read, or an opinion column on news you come across. Write down impressions/questions/cross references as you do your reading, and then read up on those later.
None of these are particularly revolutionary -- and I can sure as shootin' promise you that it's a lot easier for me to suggest them than it would be for me to take my own advice.
But even as an upright individual, it's easy to think of those things I'd like to do if I had more time, so I project them onto you. Use them (or not) as you will.
I would wallow in cheesy science fiction for a month.
But that's just me.
There are calligraphy projects that I have had in mind for...wait for it...DECADES that I would hopefully finally bring to fruition.
I could start one of those really cool and complicated afghans - the kind where you actually have to pay attention to the pattern (i.e., not the kind of crocheting I do these days).
I would read - I have a growing list of things I want to read. Arg.
I would call you!
I would also really like to play around with writing and illustration. My writing's not great and my drawing's derivative, but I could do it for my own fun and pass it on to my family. They're stuck with me, after all.
Post a Comment