Four days ago, I decided to try to take a little walk. I didn't make it out of our yard; I made two laps around the roses and my back informed me that that was plenty for our first trip. No sense getting too ambitious, it said.
Three days ago, I took a strong stance: "Today, we're going to go down that driveway." My back hemmed and hawed and made worried noises about the hill, but I ignored it. We made it to the end of the driveway. Pleased with my success and the pleasantness of the evening, I nudged it along to the next-door neighbor's house with the promise of seeing some fireflies. One appeared in the Leech's front yard, then my back promptly demanded we go back, complaining all the way.
Two days ago, I lost the argument altogether. My back and I kept an uneasy truce lying on the couch in a semi-drugged state most of the day. We grumbled at each other.
Yesterday, I became brave again. "Down the street," I said, speaking to it firmly. "Besides, I need the sun." The 95 degree heat was more than enough excuse to take it easy. Walking at a very gentle pace (and wondering the whole time how this whole "walking" mechanism was supposed to work -- is it step first, then swing the arm? and should my hips be moving more than this?) I was surprised to discover we'd made it all the way down the cul-de-sac and back. My upper back was pleased to chime in at this point and remind me that swinging the arms takes effort, too, thank you very much, and could we please not get too far ahead of ourselves?
Today, I got my whole self out the door without argument. Down the street and back, then down to the next street before heading around for home. I am positively flushed with success. Also, just generally flushed. (Ye gods, it's hot out there!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Plus, you found a doctor that was not only willing to entertain the idea that you had back problems, but even seems to have figured it out.
Great!
At this rate, you'll be walking like a top in no time!
(Wait. Is walking like a top good?)
Hmm. Yeah. I'm not sure that makes much sense, but thank you for playing. :)
Yes! Improvement! I'd stopped claiming any up to now because it was always fleeting and illusory. Having some way to actually measure progress now is very satisfying. (Today is a 1 street day; yesterday was a 2 street, 2 walk day!)
Post a Comment