July 9, 2008

Summer blockbuster controversy

One of the frustrating things about my back injury is having to miss out on all the great films that are coming out practically every few weeks this summer! Sitting in a squishy theater seat for two hours with my neck craned backwards and my feet stuck fast to the grimy floor is probably not the best thing for my lumbar.

But, like all things, this might be a mixed blessing. Practically every blockbuster season comes with its share of controversy over the current remake, be it a modern remake of an old film, a film adaptation of a well-known book, or what have you. Could be wonderful, could be a beloved- memory-destroying disaster, and it will cost you $10 to find out which. This year, however, the inevitable criticism from die-hard fans was prompted by a bold move from Paramount Pictures to make a full-length film version out of last year's teaser trailer for Iron Man.

You can get the full story here, if you haven't been following the talk on this. Personally, I'm feeling nervous that it won't live up to expectations.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Having seen both, I can definitively say that the trailer was way better. Hollywood ruins everything!

(Oh, how I love the Onion...)

Jen said...

It's worth watching the clip a second time, just to read the scrolling "news" stories at the bottom. HA!

Sister Mary Martha said...

Everything stinks. Stick to Turner Classics for the summer.

Jen said...

Hi, Sister! Thanks for stopping by! (I feel like I've just had a celebrity visit.) :)