August 23, 2008

Why I love the Raleigh flea market, and my camera in general

It's a gorgeous day today -- a few white fluffy clouds and the thermometer hovering around 77 degrees. It's one of those days we get periodically towards the end of summer that hints that autumn is on its way: the air is just a bit cooler, a bit crisper. Without the usual overwhelming mugginess, I notice the light from the sun much more than the heat. A perfect day to use up a remaining roll of film! Accordingly, I grabbed my camera and headed to the flea market at the State Fairgrounds at 9:00 this morning.

These days I've pretty much defaulted to using my (mediocre) digital camera. It's quick, it's cheap, and -- with a few adjustments to color and contrast on my Photoshop program -- it produces fairly decent pictures. But I'd forgotten just what a difference a good speed film in my other camera makes. The following photos are from this morning, all of them completely untouched except for some cropping. (This tells me I either need to get a better quality digital camera, or suck up the cost of printing and go back to "old school.") I'd forgotten just how much I love photography, especially when I get results like this!


Okay, those last two are from our rose garden; I didn't quite finish the roll at the market. But -- look at these photos! I can't believe how much light and color the film picked up, even when the sun was behind the clouds. ...now if I can just figure out how to take shots of people without the camera picking up and magnifying every minute variation of skin tone. My portraits are pretty darn unflattering. Any suggestions, Father Barry?

4 comments:

Karen said...

Wow, these are really nice! My favorite is the baskets of food; so much color! I hope we get a chance to go to the Farmers Market sometime soon. :)

Margaret said...

Really great job, Jen. You need to start getting out more often! (Er, as your back allows.) And try out whatever tricks you get from Father Barry about portrait photos on the twinsies. I miss them so much!

Gran said...

What gorgeous pictures! WHERE DID YOU SEE THE ITALIAN PLATES??????????I have to go with you next weekend!!!

"Father Barry" said...

So, just to get things straight, you're asking how to take portraits with your film camera, right? Not the digital?

Do you "bounce" at all? And what sort of lenses are we talking about here?