March 6, 2009

Waxing poetic

...with apologies to Wm. Shakespeare.

Yes, clearly I'm avoiding getting started with work this morning, despite the firm, brave words about dedicating myself to the cause in my last post. Well, I just thought I'd post my thoughts about my comps (which I am avoiding) in iambic pentameter. What could be more worthwhile? [Yes, that was rhetorical. Don't answer that.]

Actually, I wrote this almost 15 years ago at the end of a school paper. I still like it.

If this student has offended,
Think but this and all is mended --
That at least you slumbered well
Whilst this thesis we did tell,
And this weak and boring theme
No more yielding than a dream.
Teacher, do not reprehend --
If you pardon, we will mend.
And, as I am a simple Jen,
and have with all unable pen,
If fairly wrought an answer here,
Let gentle countenance appear.
(Lest the student fail anon.)
And so I bid thee patience long!
Give us an "A" if we be friends;
Exams will all restore amends.


...except they *won't* if I don't get on the stick (or, is it "off"?) and start working.

No comments: