I saw the neurosurgeon today. (I went yesterday but they told me I can only see the doctor on the day that I have an appointment for, so... Ahem.) So, here's the deal:
1. ...well, make this preliminary comment a: that turn for the worse I took on Friday has gotten no better. Maybe a tiny bit better. 'kay. Onto the meat.
1. I have degenerative disk disease: "your disks, which are like jelly donuts, are beginning to dry out inside, making them hard and brittle and liable to crack in places." The three lowest disks in my spine are dried out; the topmost one is bulging (herniated) into the spinal column, causing pain down my legs. The bottommost disk is torn, leaking out "disk jelly", (which is apparently very nasty stuff, as far as the rest of my body is concerned), causing severe inflammation and the pain in my low back.
2. There's no cure. My options for treatment are, in order of aggressiveness: another course of steroids, epidural steroid injections (which do the same thing only more so), and surgery. Because there are three disks involved and a lot of damage, it would be major surgery: they would fuse the lowest three vertebrae together, probably very much like they did for Dad 10 years ago. Recovery time for the surgery would only be about a month all-told, but they wouldn't be able to get me in until September, thus wrecking complete havoc on my studies and clinic work.
3. Not surprisingly, we voted for option #2, at least to start out with. I have the first injection next Monday, and I can have up to a total of three, probably 1-2 weeks apart. If they don't work, we'll go to surgery. So we're still in a holding pattern, in a sense: I could be back in DC starting my new externship in August, or I might have to rework my entire doctoral program schedule. Time will tell! All we can do is wait and see.
At the moment, I don't have much of an emotional reaction to all of this. I wish I could get some definite timetable, especially since big changes will start happening awfully fast if I'm unable to meet certain deadlines. Meanwhile, Dad bought me this and this. Now, at least, I should be able to get back to work and finish those papers and projects. Yay! ...yay?
June 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
OK, I have two thoughts:
1. Wow. This depresses me, and it's not even my back. I never, ever like to see things prefaced by "degenerative." And if I don't ever really think about what "disk jelly" probably feels like when it leaks into your back, I'll be fine. Prayers will continue with vim and vigor, of course. Keep up the upbeat attitude!
2. The second sentence of this post - the one in parenthasese - is awesome. Somehow, it sums you up perfectly.
8-P
Thanks for the prayers, Fr. Barry, especially since kid-prayers count at least double, I'd guess. With your five (well, we know little James would have the *intention* of praying if he could understand what was going on), I'll be doing pretty well!
Personally, I think what makes the diagnosis sound depressing is the "disease" bit they tack on at the end. It makes it sound contagious and kind of...slimy. Actually, I think it really just means "getting old" in this case -- and that is plenty depressing enough!
And I object to the implication that "Cabaniss plans" sum me up in any way! I am more than my air-headedness! ...for instance, there's my questionable physical condition... :)
This depresses me too. The sentence that especially got me was the short nasty one: "There's no cure." Sigh. Sighsighsigh. I'd better stop before another tornado forms out here.
You've got more kid-prayers going up from this direction. As well as ones from bigger folks.
Post a Comment