March 1, 2009

On a happier note...

...I just found this adorable video, set to a song sung by Edith Piaf:



Might help set the mood for spring!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Cute! And I like the song. What are they saying, though?

Jen said...

I just looked up the lyrics and now the cartoon is even cuter; what's happening fits the words. :)

First, here's the French:
http://www.lyricsbox.com/edith-piaf-lyrics-a-quoi-ca-sert-l%27amour-qgdhdsr.html

Here's my translation:

What is the point of love?
People are always telling
Pointless stories.
What is the point of loving?

Love is inexplicable!
It’s just that kind of thing.
It comes from no one knows where,
It grabs you all at once.

Me, I’ve heard it said
That love will cause you pain,
That love will make you cry,
What’s the point of loving?

What is the point of love?
To give us joy
With tears in our eyes…
It’s sad and marvelous!

However, one often says
That love is deceiving
That there is always one of the two
Who is never happy.

Even when one has lost it
The love that one has known
Gives you a taste like honey –
Love is eternal!

All of that is very pretty,
But when all is said and done,
You are left with nothing
But an immense chagrin…

All that now
Appears to you as heartbreaking
Tomorrow will be for you
A memory of joy!

In sum, if I have understood,
Without love in one’s life
Without its joys, its pains,
One would have conquered in vain?

Of course! Look at me!
Each time I have believed!
And I will always believe…
That’s the point of love!

But you, you are the last!
But you, you are the first!
Before you there was nothing
With you, I am well!

It’s you that I want!
It’s you that I need!
You whom I will always love…
That’s the point of love!

Jen said...

(Sorry for all the exclamation points at the end. What can I say? They're French!)