May 10, 2009

Music for summer thunderstorms

I was distracting myself this afternoon from a paper I had to write (ahem). I felt restless and peevish and was looking for some good, strong, intense classical music to play to get some of my jitters out.

As I was looking around, I thought I'd see if I could find a piece I'd heard a friend play at his piano recital years and years ago. All I remembered was the name of the composer, but I had been utterly blown away by the piece at the time and I'd never heard it again after that. Sure enough, I found it.

Before you listen, here's the story behind this piece: apparently, Scriabin wrote this while on his honeymoon, watching a huge thunderstorm sweep up across the Black Sea. Knowing that, you can close your eyes and picture the intensity of this storm. You can also tell he was loving every single minute of it!



Is anyone else familiar with Scriabin's music? I think his work is often coupled with Chopin's, but I don't know much more than that.

No comments: